Sunday, August 10, 2014

DIY Book Boxes

This summer is coming to a close. I am so excited to start the new school year especially since I am going to be in the same class and get to see my Resource students again! Best thing about this summer is that I know about my upcoming year and could plan for it. I have made some things that I will blog about later but I finished my book boxes. I needed these for some of my students who stay with me for a longer time instead of them just picking out random books from the library.


Here is the finished product! 

I ordered the medium flat rate box 2 in a pack of 10. Best thing is that it is FREE! You can get it HERE. You will also need a box cutter, a pencil, a ruler, duck tape, scrapbook paper, and a hot glue gun. 


The first step is to assemble the box by closing all the sides. Then cut the box in half. Best way to do this is measure with a ruler and draw a pencil line all the way around. 




I then decided that I would draw a line for a cut 3 1/2" up from the bottom and the same distance from the edge on the top. I connected the line to create the opening. You can decide to do whatever length works for you. 


This is what is looks like when it is all cut. 


I then decided that I wanted to reinforce the box by duck tapping it. I used black but you can use any color or design. 



I then covered them in scrapbook paper and used hot glue to adhere it. I used thicker scrapbook paper so that it wouldn't wrinkle so much. I also used decorative scrapbook paper on the front and added a laminated piece of paper so I can write my students names. 



I love the way these turned out and they were really cheap to make. I only had to pay for the tape and glue. You can make 20 boxes for much cheaper than buying them from a store. I had everything else so this was very cost efficient. It does take awhile to make them all. They seem sturdy to me but I will see how they withstand my students for the year. 

Now I just need to get them set up in my classroom and fill them with books! 



No comments:

Post a Comment